Welcome to the Stark County Community Action Agency website. Here you will be able to find information about all of our agency's programs and services. Please use the navigation menu at the top of this page for the service or information you would like to access. You will find application forms, FAQs, contact information and links to other important community services in Stark County.


Through the Winter Crisis Program, eligible households in emergency situations may qualify to receive (once per heating season) up to $175 in payment assistance to help maintain, restore, transfer or initiate their utility services.  In addition, those with 25% or less supply of bulk fuel (wood, propane, fuel oil) may also qualify to receive up to $750 in assistance.  This program can also help pay for heating system repairs in limited situations.

Those households serviced by a regulated utility company such as American Electric Power, First Energy, dominion, East Ohio Gas and Columbia Gas may also sign up for the Percentage of Income Plan (PIPP Plus) as well.
In order to apply for the Winter Crisis Program or PIPP Plus, customers are required to provide the following items:
  • Social Security numbers for ALL household members.
  • Birth certificate and picture ID for the primary household member.
  • Current utility bills.  If you use bulk fuel, you must provie your electric service bill.
  • If you are applying for new service or transferring service, call the utility company and get a pending account numbers for your new service and bring those with you.
  • Proof of total household income for three (3) or twelve (12) months for everyone in the household age 18 and older. (13 weekly, 7 bi-weekly or 3 monthly pay stubs, printout or award letter)
  • Valid income includes wages, unemployment, child support, utillity assistance, TANF, social security income, SSD, disability assistance, odd jobs, etc.
  • If your income is zero, you must provide proof of your last source of income.
  • If your income is zero and your only income is utility allowance, you must provide a notarized statement explaining how you have been providing for your household including current documentation of any food assistance, Medicare, Medicaid or other healthcare eligibility.
  • If you are no longer employed, you must provide proof that you no longer work (unemployment letter, employment verification, letter from previous employer).
  • If you attend college, you must provide a current schedule and fee bill showing your refund if any.
  • If you are representing another person, you must have a current (12 months from date of application) power or attorney or notarized statement.
  • If you rent you will need your landlord's name, address and phone number.


In order to receive E-HEAP assistance, households must call Stark County CAA's toll-free IVR appointment line at 1-866-223-1242.  Appointments are scheduled up to twenty-eight (28) days in advance.
To ensure that there is no interruption of service, once households schedule appointments and receive appointment confirmation, their appointment date and time will be sent directly to the utility company for a five (5) day extension (5 days after the appointment date) to be placed on the utility account. Utility companies will only permit one (1) -five (5) day appointment hold on a customer's account, so it is very important that customers arrive for their appointment on the scheduled date/time with all necessary documentation.  Appointments will be conducted at the following locations:
Canton HEAP Site Alliance HEAP Site Massillon HEAP Site
SCCAA Feed the Sheep Ministries Salvation Army 
1370 Market Avenue North 114 East Main Street 315 6th Street N.E.
Canton, OH  44714  Alliance, OH  44601 Massillon, OH  44646
Hours:  8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.        Hours:  9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.           Hours 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Monday thorugh Friday Monday & Wednesday Only Tuesday & Thursday Only

Additional Information