The Home Weatherization Assistance Program, commonly referred to as HWAP, is a U.S. Department of Energy-funded program. It is not an emergency response program. It is a program designed to improve energy efficiency and reduce energy consumption of Stark County's low-income households. Providing weatherproofing and energy efficiency measures, HWAP helps to make utility bills more affordable.

Energy efficient measures may include a household audit, heating system inspection, attic and side wall insulation, or an electric baseload analysis (review) to address light and appliance efficiency. It does not replace furnaces, water heaters, roofs, install storm windows/doors, prime windows/doors, paint houses, remove water or mold from houses, or install siding or spouting. HWAP employs professional, certified staff and contractors, and uses specialized diagnostic equipment to identify structural needs. Services are available to homeowners and renters who meet the established federal program guidelines.


This will be determined at the time your application is taken. All individuals age 18 years or older residing in your home, must provide income documentation for the past 12 months to determine your qualifying status for HWAP services. All items required to complete the application will be explained to you upon agency contact.

Poverty Guidelines: 48 Contiguous States (all states except Alaska and Hawaii)

Household Size

200% of Poverty

(Dollars Per Year)

















For households with more than eight (8) members, add $10,280 for each additional member.



  • Copy of most recent electric bill.
  • Copy of most recent gas bill.
  • Copy of social security card(s) for every member in the household.
  • Copy of birth certificate(s) for every member of the household.
  • Proof of home ownership (SCCAA will obtain the County Auditor’s record, where applicable).
    • Renters – Landlord permission is required. Landlord must contact our office directly at (330) 452-9823 before consideration of Weatherization services.
  • Proof of past 12 months of income for each household member, 18 years and older.
  • If applicable, proof of Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP).

3013 Mahoning Rd. NE
Canton, OH 44705
Phone: (330) 452-9823
Fax: (330) 452-8172

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00AM to 4:30PM